The latest data shows university only research and development (R&D) in Nova Scotia has fallen slightly from $182 million in 2011/12 to $173 million in 2014/15. This Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO) data, does not include R&D performed at the Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC). More information on NSCC R&D can be found in ‘Deep Dive’.
year actual target baseline 2000 93.3 360 182 2001 89.3 360 182 2002 95.8 360 182 2003 103.1 360 182 2004 121.6 360 182 2005 135.2 360 182 2006 144.3 360 182 2007 153.2 360 182 2008 170.4 360 182 2009 169.1 360 182 2010 167.7 360 182 2011 172.7 360 182 2012 181.7 360 182 2013 178.7 360 182 2014 159.6 360 182 2015 173.3 360 182
What this means
This data shows the dollar value of sponsored research and development occurring at Nova Scotia universities. It does not include sponsored research and development performed at Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC).
It should be noted, many funding programs from the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) are cyclical. Although the John Evans Leaders Fund (JELF) awards smaller-scale research funding to individual researchers three times a year, all other programs are larger-scale and take place every two to three years. Special funding programs from CFI are also held periodically to meet specific demands. Therefore, longer terms trends in funding will show the fuller picture for this goal.
Dalhousie's ocean researchers ride 1st wave of Research Trust Nova Scotia funding
Whales and earthquake monitoring among projects receiving $6.5M in funding
Research grant at Cape Breton University will assist probe into method of traditional healing
Research into the traditional Mi’kmaq practice of using birch bark oil in the treatment of skin conditions has attracted $150,000 in funding.
Reinvest in research, for Canada and Nova Scotia
Research at our Nova Scotia universities makes a real difference in our lives, transforming our health, environment, economy and communities.
- Cape Breton University researchers seeking solution for 'superbugs'
- TREASURY BOARD PRESIDENT SCOTT BRISON ANNOUNCES NSERC FUNDING AT DAL
- Nova Scotia biologist studies deer liver and environmental changes
- Canada and Nova Scotia Invest in infrastructure at Nova Scotia Community College
- DAZZLING DISCOVERERS: DAL RESEARCHERS WIN BIG AT DISCOVERY AWARDS
- HUBS FOR INNOVATION: THE IMPORTANT ROLE OF UNIVERSITIES IN NOVA SCOTIA'S FUTURE
- Alec Falkenham, Dalhousie researcher, inks deal for tattoo removal cream
- A GAME‑CHANGER FOR OCEAN RESEARCH: INSIDE THE NEW DAL‑LED OCEAN FRONTIER INSTITUTE
- Ocean innovation centre lands major government investment
- NowNS: University of innovation
- ACOA to Zebrafish: Dalhousie University gets help in orphan disease research
- Federal, provincial government announce funding for university upgrades
- SIGNED, "SEALED," DELIVERED: DAL'S OCEAN TRACKING NETWORK RECEIVES $11.4M IN FUNDING FROM THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA